Press "Enter" to skip to content

Car theft in the state of Guerrero up 30 percent

Acapulco, Guerrero — In the first nine months of the year, the theft of vehicles in Guerrero increased 30 percent over the same period of 2016, reported the Mexican Association of Insurance Institutions (AMIS) that warns of the presence of organized crime.

The association details in a statement that from October 2016 to September 2017, 1,778 vehicles were stolen in the state of Guerrero, representing an increase of 30 percent over the previous year, in which 1,371 thefts were reported, according to the report Theft and Recovery of Insured Cars.

“Car theft continues to be one of the crimes that most impacts society, as well as damaging the assets of families and businesses, and can increase other crimes that are committed with stolen cars,” Recaredo Arias, director general of AMIS said in a statement.

It points out that of the nearly 1.1 million vehicles in the state of Guerrero only 7.3 percent, that is 78,639 vehicles are insured, a figure is “well below the national average of 29.6 percent.”

Although, he stresses, that the recovery rate of 41 percent of stolen units is in higher than the national average of 35 percent.

It details that of the total of robberies that happen in the state, 81 percent were carjacking with the use of violence, while the remaining 19 percent were stolen parked. Sixty percent of the stolen units are private cars, 33 percent pickups and pickups, 5 percent motorcycles and 2 percent heavy equipment such as semi-trailers, tractors and trucks.

At the national level, the number of missing vehicles represented an increase of 27.5 percent.

“In the same period of 2016 we had a national registry of 67,413 robberies throughout the country, and this cycle occurred 18,530 more, totaling 85,943 incidents.”

There is also an increase in the use of violence throughout the country, since it is present in 60 percent of cases. “It is being the presence of organized crime in car theft, which makes it more difficult to combat for that reason. Mechanisms and a greater attention of owners are needed to help protect their property”, he warns.

Comments are closed.