Press "Enter" to skip to content

Veracruz journalist Leonardo Vázquez Atzin slain in home

Gutiérrez Zamora, Veracruz — A media journalist was found shot and killed Wednesday in his home after friends say, he had received threats.

Ana Laura Pérez Mendoza, president of the State Commission for the Protection of Journalists, confirmed the murder of reporter Leonardo Vázquez Atzin, who was working as a journalist in the area of Gutiérrez Zamora in the north of the state of Veracruz.

Vázquez Atzin had received threats after having disseminated information related to a property in the municipality of Tecolutla. However, Pérez Mendoza said that although they did not receive reports that Vázquez Atzin had been threatened, the first information coming forward is that he was threatened by a notary public.

“The information that they give us of the report is that apparently he had threats from a notary public. That is what we have. We had also talked about threats from mayors, but it is still very diffuse information that at the time. The Attorney General’s Office will have to investigate in this regard,” she said.

Reports say the 42-year-old reporter was in his home when armed individuals traveling on a motorcycle shot him.

The Veracruz communicator had stopped working for state newspaper La Opinión and La Vanguardia, but had an informative page called Enlace de Gutiérrez Zamora, which is active.

Vázquez Atzin worked in a digital portal owned by him, Enlace Informativo Regional, in which he handled political and social information and the so-called police note.

The Veracruz Network of Journalists have condemned the murder of Leobardo Vázquez Atzin and are demanding conditions in the state improve so journalist can report freely.

Authorities have not provided more details of what happened on Wednesday afternoon. So far in the biannual state administration, led by Miguel Angel Yunes, four media workers have been killed including a cameraman from Guatemala.

This week marks one year after the death of columnist Ricardo Monlui. His crime remains unpunished along with three other cases.

This is the fifth journalist killed during the government of Miguel Ángel Yunes Linares which makes 24 journalist deaths in the last seven years.